• motamomgrandma
    September 9, 2017 at 12:20 am #33760

I think my 15 year old son has OCD, subtype Violent Intrusive Thoughts. He’s diagnosed with bipolar but never really fit that diagnosis. He imagines violent images that scare him, mostly of family members he loves being tortured. He is worried all the time; obsessed with different things, like me dying or him going to hell or him being a bad person. But he won’t open up about his thoughts so over the last year, this is pretty much all he’s said. He wants to die sometimes and has injured himself before. We’ve tried everything, every program and support. Now he’s in juvenile and I don’t know what else to do to help him. Does anyone know about this particular disorder? Can anyone share their story about it so I can understand more? I have bipolar and PTSD but his symptoms are different so I don’t know what steps to take to help him.

Flowerchild91
    September 10, 2017 at 9:11 pm #33774

I have OCD and sometimes I replay horrible thoughts. It’s scary and sad that he’s going through that. I would get him evaluated to see what’s going on. I was just put on medication for OCD & PTSD. I hope only the best for him keep your head up!!!

ashandis
    September 10, 2017 at 10:29 pm #33775

Hey I have OCD but not in the way it seems your son has but I do have a little advice. Management in any disorder can be very hard. I will say that perhaps have you tried using animals. I know your son wont talk to you I am the same way I will not talk to anyone unless I feel A) accepted B) safe C) not judged for what I say. Your son may need something to help him feel comfortable. I know when I do something that helps me feel comfortable or safe I have a better time talking to that person. I also feel better about it. One way for me is with a dog or a cat. I speak to them. He may not speak directly too you but letting him get this out is kind of important. It always helps me. Does he have any close people too him that he shares a bond with. This could be away.

I wish I could be of more help but really just know I am here.

Ash

motamomgrandma
    September 11, 2017 at 12:20 am #33778

Thank y’all for your support and advice. We have not tried animals but that is a great idea. I’ve been reading about Exposure and Response Intervention. It’s supposed to be the best therapy for this type of OCD. If anyone has tried it, did it work? It sounds very intense. I talked to him about this form of OCD on sat and I hope it made him fee “normal” and understood that he’s not and never had been a bad person. It’s an illness. He has juvenile court tomorrow and the judge will decide home with probation or a 6-9 month treatment facility. I’m terrified.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

LIVE NOW! CLICK TO VIEW.
CURRENTLY OFFLINE