• itsdj
    January 10, 2017 at 10:10 pm #30058

Next year I graduate from high school and unlike a lot of my classmates I plan to attend a school in Chicago for the fine. performing, and media arts. I’m ecstatic to go to a school with people with the same passions as me. However, when I go I won’t know anyone there and I’m terrified. Finding/joining new friend groups is pretty routine for me, but almost every time I become the odd man out because my interests or views aren’t up to my friend’s standards or I’m just not invited to do things with them, or I’m responsible for supporting them emotionally but they can’t reciprocate it back to me. I kind of just want to say screw it and try and fly solo for four years but I know it’s not good to isolate myself like that. So how do I go about creating mutually beneficial, healthy relationships with others?

Victoria
    January 10, 2017 at 10:29 pm #30059

Hello!

By any chance, are you planning on attending Columbia College Chicago? If that’s the case, I’m a student there myself. 🙂
    Either way, Chicago is a great city and that’s exciting! Meeting people and making new friends can be intimidating, especially when you’re just starting college in an area you’re new to. I think you’ll find that being the odd man out due to your interests will change in college, because you’re around people who want to pursue the same careers as you. People (in general) at college are a lot less judgmental and more focused on themselves. I have friends now in college that I don’t have a lot in common with interest-wise (and would never have hung out with in high school), but we’re still good friends that spend time together!
    Joining clubs in always a good way to meet people and make new friends. I’ve been in quite a few that have nothing to do with my career choice, but have given me opportunities and connections (psychology club, a speech team, an art and activism club, etc). (Of course there are clubs and organizations that do relate to careers as well).
    I’m sure you’re familiar with bands in the “warped tour” scene as well because this is Heart Support, and I’m happy to say Chicago has a great music scene! I’ve met so many people through that as well. There’s always some sort of local show going on, and people are pretty welcoming and friendly.

Networking and creating connections with people is really important when it comes to starting a career in the entertainment and arts industry, so I wouldn’t recommend trying to fly solo. As far as sustaining and creating healthy relationships, I’d say be open to trying new things and don’t be afraid to put yourself out there. Chicago is a really diverse city that always has something going on. If people don’t invite you to do things, invite them to do something with you instead. The worst they can do is say no, and then you can move on and put your time and effort into connecting with new people.

Feel free to email me! If you want a friend in Chicago, I’m always willing to make new friends. [email protected]

itsdj
    January 10, 2017 at 10:41 pm #30060

Yes, I plan on attending Columbia I’ve been in love with the school since 8th grade. I feel less anxious now about going in especially since Chicago is massive compared to Detroit. I’m just excited for the fresh start and a chance to meet new people.

Victoria
    January 10, 2017 at 10:53 pm #30061

That’s awesome! I love Columbia, it’s been a great school for me so far. It is, it’s a really fun city to explore. I live in the suburbs currently and commute to class, but I can’t wait until I can get an apartment in the city.
    If you have any questions about the school, let me know!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.