• TheJediAshCash
    January 5, 2017 at 3:36 pm #29958

I had a really bad experience at a concert venue yesterday. It’s a venue I’ve been to before many times but they recently added a pat down procedure to security. I’ve gotten through pat downs at other venues generally with no problem but last night was a different story. The security was poorly trained and the woman groped my chest. It triggered a panic attack and I dropped to the floor and covered my ears. The security guards started yelling at me and told me I need to get over it and that I was probably faking to sneak something into the venue.

I was so embarrassed and what security was saying just made it worse. I invalidate my feelings enough on a daily basis I don’t need other people to do it for me. I almost left the show because I was just miserable for a while.

I’ve already emailed the venue and so have several of my friends. I’m supposed to go there again next month for Silent Planet and I’m completely freaking out about it. I’m not going with anyone and I don’t know how I’m going to get through security again but I know I’m going to have to. I’m hoping the venue gives their staff better training but I know that its a possiblity they won’t and the same thing might happen again.

DanBernard317
    January 5, 2017 at 3:57 pm #29959

I’m so sorry this happened to you. 🙁 Poor training leads to all kinds of issues, including situations like this. People’s bodies should be treated with and respected as much as the safety they are trying to establish. Maybe you can speak with security at the venue ahead of time to make your situation and feeling known prior to being searched? I know that’s pretty standard procedure at airports if there is a case where special care needs to be taken with a guest. I hope this doesn’t happen again and that you can go into the Silent Planet show with confidence!
    Love you!

-Dan

Megan Huettl
    January 5, 2017 at 4:05 pm #29960

If you need us to reach out to them on your behalf as well, please let us know. It sounds like a matter of poor training and misunderstanding basic human emotions. Don’t be embarrassed. There is no reason for you to be, they were in the wrong and you were not.

Victoria
    January 5, 2017 at 8:39 pm #29967

I’m so sorry to hear this happened to you. I’ve had some unpleasant experiences with venue security before, but nothing that bad. That’s unacceptable. Concerts are supposed to be a safe place where we can escape our problems for a few hours, not something that makes that worse. This is not your fault at all and you have nothing to be embarrassed of.
    Because the next show that you’re attending there is Silent Planet, I’d reach out to the band (especially Garrett, you could message him beforehand through twitter) and explain the scenario. I’m sure they’d do whatever they can to talk to security or work with the venue beforehand. Or like Megan said, Heart Support could try and help to reach out to them as well! In my experiences with bad security, getting a band/crew member involved was the only thing that helped to solve it.
    I hope this works out for you, you deserve to be able to enjoy and feel safe at shows.
    – Victoria

TheJediAshCash
    January 6, 2017 at 4:18 pm #29989

Thank you so much guys so much. I really appreciate it and all the support and advice has made dealing with this a lot easier.

Megan I might take you up on that when the show gets closer. The response I got from the venue made it seem like they didn’t care and it would end up in a pile of ignored complaints. I’m not going to let it get in the way of me seeing Silent Planet(they’re my faves), I just want to feel safe while I’m at the show.

I really appreciate this community <3 Thanks for helping out guys.

Megan Huettl
    January 6, 2017 at 5:01 pm #29990

Keep me posted lady. I’m happy to help.

Steven
    January 8, 2017 at 3:53 pm #30015

That’s the hardest part is when the security is lacking in training or just poorly doing their jobs. Hopefully things have or will be rectified for any upcoming shows this venue has. Keep your head held high kiddo, walk into the show with confidence and ready to have fun. HS is behind ya. Praying that it’ll be a much better experience for silent Planet.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.